Created in the 1700s, consoles were 2 or 3 legged, ornate tables attached to a wall by a bracket known as a console, hence the name. Console tables have become an essential element of home décor. Console tables are a functional, flexible and decorative beauty in any space. They are slender, allowing them to fit nicely into narrow spaces and can serve a variety of purposes.
Functional and decorative applications:
- At an entryway, as a catch-all for keys, mail, etc.
- As a bedside table – a unique deviation from the standard night stand
- As a dining room side board
- As a bar when entertaining
- At the back of a sofa to add interest especially if the back of the sofa faces the entrance to the room
- Add a pair of lamps, decorative items, a piece of art leaning against a wall or candlesticks to add interest and pizzazz
Some noteworthy and interesting finds are shown below: